Forum

Xpenology-DS3612xs extlinux/syslinux boot loader - dissimilar hardware  

RSS
Fma965
(@admin)
Member Admin

Original credit goes to Spine (on old cyanlabs forums)

Ok, so I have successfully done this with the RS3411RPxs, and now I've done it with the favored DS3612xs, but also took it another step...after the initial testing, I also duplicated this process using a Dell Perc6/i Raid card with multiple drives connected in a single volume. Doing this allows for even more expansion than before:
ie. You can have, lets say 8 drives per raid card (using the Perc 6/i as the example). Now lets say each drive installed is a 2TB drive. That would give you a 14TB volume (with parity) on a single raid card - WHICH the XPEnology software shows as a SINGLE drive, not 8 drives. You can then duplicate this with however many raid cards your system can handle.
Now I only had the Perc 6/i and Perc 5/i card at my disposal, so I have not tested an Adaptec raid, or any other raid.
Well, now for the long awaited tutorial...which isn't much different than the previous tutorial.
Below are files I created, modified, and used so you can easily use it also.

http://cyanlabs.net/uploads/DS3612XS.zip
http://usdl.synology.com/download/criticalupdate/update_pack/4528-2/synology_bromolow_3612xs.pat from the synology website.
1.) Setup your raid and volume if using a raid - disregard if not using a raid card.
2.) Boot to the Ubuntu 10.04 live disk
3.) Create 100MB Primary partition with ID=83 (Linux) and make it bootable.
a.) Open a terminal, type "sudo su" to become root, then type "fdisk -l" to list your disk. Then type "fdisk /dev/???" (??? is your disk).
Once in fdisk, type "n" for new partition, "p" for primary, "1" for first partition, "+100M" for 256mb partition size - yes you need the + in front. Then press "a", and if it prompts for which partition, press "1" for the first. Now press "w" to write and exit info to disk.
4.) Now format the filesystem and make it useable. **occasionally it will not show the new partition, so run the command: "partprobe" first, then continue...
a.) mkfs -t ext2 /dev/???# (where ??? is your disk, and # is your partition number)
5.) Install extlinux to the drive.
a.) mount /dev/???# /mnt
b.) extlinux -i /mnt
6.) Copy all the files from my archive to /mnt
7.) Install the syslinux/extlinux mbr code to the disk mbr (a previously missed step):
a.) Use the supplied mbr.bin file from my zip archive, OR "find" it on your system with this command, it will show you EXACTLY where it is:
find / mbr.bin | grep mbr.bin
b.) dd if=/mnt/mbr.bin of=/dev/???
8.) Edit the extlinux.conf
a.) nano /mnt/extlinux.conf
make ROOT (hd0,4) show: ROOT (hd0,#) where # is the partition you installed extlinux to.
9.) Copy extlinux.conf to syslinux.conf
a.) cp extlinux.conf syslinux.conf
10.) Reboot and boot from the HDD/Raid Card.
11.) DO create the synology raid.
12.) Select the dsm for DS3612xs version 4528 (downloaded from above link)
13.) When it finishes, and reboots, boot it into Ubuntu 10.04 Live again.
14.) Create 100mb partition right after first two...
a.) Open a terminal, type "sudo su" to become root, then type "fdisk -l" to list your disk. Then type "fdisk /dev/???" (??? is your disk).
Once in fdisk, type "n" for new partition, "p" for primary, "4" for 4th partition, "+100M" for 100mb partition size - yes you need the + in front. Then press "a", and if it prompts for which partition, press "4" for the 4th. Now press "w" to write and exit info to disk.
15.) Repeat steps 3 => 10, but on step 8, make it show (hd0,4) whichever is your "ID=83 Linux" partition (found with fdisk -l). Mine shows /dev/sda4
so I would use (hd0,4).
It should now boot normally into the Diskstation from here on out, unless you delete the synology raid and recreate it. If you do this, then repeat step 15.
Good luck, if there are any issues, or corrections that need done, let me know.

Posted : 08/06/2016 7:12 pm
Share:
Menu

Working

Please Login or Register