Install XPEnology on HP N54L Server
Offline Fma965
14-07-2014 22:02 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs

UPDATE: Updated Guide Here

Here is a guide on how to install XPEnology since I recently bought a HP Proliant N54L micro-server from ServersPlus for £200 with £100 cashback from HP.  

I bought it to replace my ZyXel NSA320 NAS, The new system has a 2.2GHz Dual Core AMD CPU and 2GB RAM.

I planned to install Synology's DSM on it and to do this i needed to use a modified version designed for non Synology hardware, It's called XPEnology and is built from the DSM source. So without further ado lets get on to installing XPEnology on to the HP N54L.

Requirements

You will need to download the following files.
You will also require
  • A network connection to the HP N54L server.
  • A USB drive of a around 64MB or higher
  • A Windows PC to use Win32DiskImager (DD can be used on Linux/OS X)

Preparation

OK so firstly we need to get XPEnology on to the USB drive, Extract Win32DiskImager and XPEnology.

Load Win32DiskImager and select the correct drive letter.

win32diskimager

Click the folder icon and select the extracted "synoboot-trantor-XXXXXXX.img" where XXXXX is a version number.

win32diskimager

Click write and wait for the program to finish.

Installation

Now that we have the XPEnology img file written to the USB Drive it's time to get on with the installation.

Connect the USB Drive to the HP N54L (Back/Internal works best).

Optionally connect a display to the N54L to make sure it's booting.

Start up Synology Assistant and let it find the Synology device (might take a few minutes) once found select "Install" and follow the on screen instructions.

9 (1)

Now select the ".pat" file that was extracted from the XPEnology archive. (filename may be different)

disk assistant

Now enter your chosen password and server name. Make sure to keep the checkbox checked.

Finally configure the network settings either to DHCP or manual.

Now wait for the process to complete it may take a little while.

Once the install is complete you can go back to the main Disk Assistant window and select "Connect" by right clicking the device.

Disk Assistant

It will load your default web browser to the IP of the device and wait for you to enter username/password. (username is admin)

DSM

Now you have completed the Synology DSM setup and can move on to adding custom packages such as sickbeard, couchpotato, headphones and transmission, You can use the "Storage Manager" to configure your HDD's.

Extras

To install custom packages you simply need to go to "Package Center"

DSM

Select "Settings" then select "Package Sources"

DSM Settings

Now you can press "Add" and then add other sources, the most popular one is "http://packages.synocommunity.com". Enter it like below.

DSM Add Source

Next you can press "OK" and then simply go to the "Community" tab.

DSM Community Packages

Here you can find all sorts of packages, Just simply install them and follow on screen instructions, Thats all.

Credits

XPEnology creators (not sure on actual names sorry)

Synology

Various online sources.

Have a issue or suggestion? Read below.
  • If your suggestion/issue is specific to a single application please post a new thread in the relevant forum.
  • If your suggestion/issue is related to the actual site then post it here.
  • If the issue is highly sensitive due to a possible security issue please instead email me at [email protected]
  • We also have Facebook and Twitter pages.
  • Soon we will also have a IRC network set up for "instant" help and general chatting.
  • Please do not PM me with your suggestion/issue if it is better suited in a specific forum.
If i'm at my computer usually i will reply instantly.
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2014 20:02 PM by Fma965.)
Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote
Offline maldoror
18-07-2014 21:31 PM

Registered
can you manage to WOL (especially with dsFinder on smartphone) the n54L (XPEnology nanoboot DSM 5.0-4493 update 2)?
Return to Top
Find Thank Quote
Offline Fma965
18-07-2014 21:37 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs
@maldoror , um i think you can but you need to edit a setting in the /etc/synoinfo.conf file. something relating to
Code:
eth0_wol_options="d"

UPDATE: apparently something like this needs to be changed/added to the /etc/synoinfo.conf file and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf file
Code:
eth0_wol_options="g"
support_wol="yes"
wol_enabled_options="g"

also need to make sure the MAC address is the correct one.

PS: Just fixed the quote button which apparently wasn't workingSmile

• If your suggestion/issue is specific to a single application please post a new thread in the relevant forum.
  • If the issue is highly sensitive due to a possible security issue please instead email me at [email protected]
  • Soon we will also have a IRC network set up for "instant" help and general chatting.
  • Please do not PM me with your suggestion/issue if it is better suited in a specific forum.
(This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 21:45 PM by Fma965.)
Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote
The following 1 user says Thank You to Fma965 for this post:
maldoror (18-07-2014)
Offline maldoror
19-07-2014 20:06 PM

Registered
i dont know if this is a fault of nanoboot, but if you enable "power schedule" (from hardware & power) BIOS lose its settings...
and need to re-enable them
http://terfmop.co.uk/blog/2013/07/31/all...croserver/

If you use 6 drives, you need to enable the above settings, enabling "power schedule" causes to crash the volume. When you re-enable the BIOS settings and reboot the nas, you get a warning that the raid volume has assembly but you need to check the drives and repair the volume.

are you aware of these Bios reset?
is it only on nanoboot release?
some more info
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3289
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2014 20:08 PM by maldoror.)
Return to Top
Find Thank Quote
Offline Fma965
19-07-2014 20:11 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs
(19-07-2014 20:06 PM)maldoror Wrote:  i dont know if this is a fault of nanoboot, but if you enable "power schedule" (from hardware & power) BIOS lose its settings...
and need to re-enable them
http://terfmop.co.uk/blog/2013/07/31/all...croserver/

If you use 6 drives, you need to enable the above settings, enabling "power schedule" causes to crash the volume. When you re-enable the BIOS settings and reboot the nas, you get a warning that the raid volume has assembly but you need to check the drives and repair the volume.

are you aware of these Bios reset?
is it only on nanoboot release?
some more info
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3289

Hi yes i have heard about these "BIOS resets" but i haven't experience one my self, i'm pretty sure its related to XPEnology and i believe all Xpenology, Gnoboot and Nanoboot installs do it.

Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote
Offline Fma965
23-07-2014 20:02 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs
Just fixed the link in OP for updated guide, Sorry for the mistake

Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote
Offline Fma965
Today 15:11 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs
(Today 14:34 PM)Daniel Benson Wrote:  Hi there,

I used this guide to get Xpenology set up on my N54L when it was linked from the deal thread on HUKD. I'm assuming that, since then, there's been an update to the Xpenology OS so is there an easy way to upgrade it? I'm using the server at the most basic of levels, just as a file/media server on my home network, so I don't need anything fancy, just to keep the OS up to date as and when required.

Cheers,
Dan
(Today 14:34 PM)Daniel Benson Wrote:  Hi there,

I used this guide to get Xpenology set up on my N54L when it was linked from the deal thread on HUKD. I'm assuming that, since then, there's been an update to the Xpenology OS so is there an easy way to upgrade it? I'm using the server at the most basic of levels, just as a file/media server on my home network, so I don't need anything fancy, just to keep the OS up to date as and when required.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi, I'm not sure what your asking but if you want a updated guide to get to the latest version here it is.
Install Synology DSM 5.0 (4493) (ESXi / Non ESXI)

Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote
Offline Daniel Benson
Today 15:40 PM

Registered
(Today 15:11 PM)Fma965 Wrote:  Hi, I'm not sure what your asking but if you want a updated guide to get to the latest version here it is.

I have my N54L running with Xpenology as per this guide. It has been running for a while.

Is there an update for the software/OS?

How do I do it? Do I need to do it?
(This post was last modified: Today 15:41 PM by Daniel Benson.)
Return to Top
Find Thank Quote
Offline Fma965
Today 16:06 PM

Administrators
Founder Of CyanLabs
(Today 15:40 PM)Daniel Benson Wrote:  
(Today 15:11 PM)Fma965 Wrote:  Hi, I'm not sure what your asking but if you want a updated guide to get to the latest version here it is.

I have my N54L running with Xpenology as per this guide. It has been running for a while.

Is there an update for the software/OS?

How do I do it? Do I need to do it?

Hi, There isn't really a easy way to update, You are best off following the guide above (you shouldn't lose your data but BACKUP!!!!) sorry for short reply kinda busy working out the issue with my site. Thanks.

Return to Top
WWW Find Thank Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Installing ESXi On the N54L or similar hardware 0 Replies:
126 Views:
Last Post by Fma965
31-08-2014 16:44 PM
Install NanoBoot on a HDD instead of with USB/ESXi 4 Replies:
376 Views:
Last Post by Fma965
29-08-2014 20:49 PM
Install Synology DSM 5.0 (4493) (ESXi / Non ESXI) 20 Replies: